Suspension and Reinstatement
Any student who makes less than a 1.00 GPA in a semester or who fails to remove him/herself from scholastic probation may be suspended. If you have been placed on Academic Suspension, you will receive a notice by mail and email from the College of Natural and Applied Sciences (CNAS) Dean's Office.
If you are placed on Academic Suspension, you have the option to appeal if there are extenuating circumstances that led to poor academic performance (i.e. illness, hospitalization, death in the family). Appeals are heard by the CNAS Scholastic Appeals Committee, a panel of CNAS faculty members, the week before spring, summer and fall sessions begin. As part of the appeals process, you are required to do the following:
- Call the CNAS Dean's Office at 417-836-5249 during regular working hours M-F, 8-5 by 12:00 noon Tuesday before classes start to make an appointment to appear before the Scholastic Appeals Committee.
- Write a letter addressed to the Scholastic Appeals Committee explaining the extenuating circumstances that interfered with your academic performance, providing appropriate documentation and your action plan for future success. This letter must be provided to the CNAS Dean's Office no less than 48 hours before your appointment. Email the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your full name, M# and telephone number on the letter.
- Arrive at the Dean’s Office in Temple 142 at least 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment with the Scholastic Appeals Committee to prepare for your appeal. An administrative assistant will check you in, review your documents and make sure you have enough copies for the Committee members.
- Following your meeting with the Scholastic Appeals Committee, the committee will make a recommendation to the Associate Dean regarding your appeal. You may check your academic status the following morning in My Missouri State (using your User ID and Password). Go to the Registration tab, then My Registration channel. Select the Registration Status link. If you do not have internet access, you may also phone the Dean's Office after 9 a.m. the following morning.
If your suspension is successfully appealed, you will be placed on academic probation. You are eligible to register for classes and must meet with your Academic Advisor regularly. Contact them directly to schedule recurring appointments.
If you decide not to appeal at the time of your suspension or your appeal is denied,
you may apply for reinstatement at the end of one semester of absence (excluding summer
session), unless you were previously suspended. If you were previously suspended,
you are not eligible for reinstatement for one full year.
At the time of reinstatement, you will be required to:
- Contact Admissions and Records to make sure you are admitted to Missouri State University.
- Write a letter of appeal explaining why you did not do as well as you hoped and your plan for success. Forward this letter to the College of Natural and Applied Sciences (CNAS) Dean's Office - 901 S. National Ave., Springfield MO 65897 or cnas@MissouriState.edu.
- Call the CNAS Dean's Office (417-836-5249) to schedule an appointment with the Associate Dean for reinstatement.
- Conditions for reinstatement may be placed upon you, which may include, but are not
limited to, one or more of the following:
o Enrollment of credit hours limited
o Repeat courses in which you previously earned a "D" or "F" grade
o Regularly meet with the appropriate advisor for your major
o Limit work hours.